Spring 2022 Special Garbage Collection
Special garbage collection in the Municipality of Argyle will be carried out as follows (on a different day than the regularly scheduled garbage pickup):
Thursday, May 19: East Pubnico, Argyle, Old School Road, Robert’s Island, Glenwood, Lr. Eel Brook, Sainte-Anne-du-Ruisseau, Rocco Point, stop at SAR Church.
Friday, May 20: Begin at SAR Church, Abram’s River, Hubbard’s Point, Amirault’s Hill, Sluice Point, Surette’s Island, Morris Island, including a section of Hwy 3 between Frank Doucette Road and Hanging Oak stop at Hanging Oak
Saturday, May 21: Lower West Pubnico, Middle West Pubnico, West Pubnico, Pubnico, Pubnico Head, including side roads in the area, Argyle Sound Road, Green Grove Road, a section of Highway #3 between Argyle Sound Road and Intersection of #335 to Paul d’Entremont Marine
Thursday, May 26: Chemin des Bourque, Eel Lake Road, Belleville, Bell Neck, Springhaven, Quinan
Friday, May 27: Comeau’s Hill, Little River Harbour, Melbourne, Pleasant Lake, Gavel Road, East Kemptville, Tusket and Lake Vaughan Road
Saturday, May 28: Wedgeport, Plymouth and Black Pond Road
Roadside collection shall be set out no earlier than seven (7) days prior to the special collection. Please have items out the day of your scheduled pickup before 7 a.m.
Construction and demolition debris will not be picked up during this special cleanup
Solid Waste placed for collection shall be separated, packaged, or bundled and shall not exceed a total of 140 kilograms (300 lbs.) in weight or over 2.0 meters (6 ½ feet) in any dimension up to a maximum of 2 cubic meters (2 ½ cubic yards) in volume. No one item shall weigh more than 68 kilograms (150 lbs).
The following is a list of items that WILL BE picked up during the cleanup. Items must be separated into various groups for ease of pick up and disposal, smaller items to be placed in CLEAR BAGS, not black bags.
- Lawnmowers (drained of oil and gasoline)
- Oil tanks (must be cut in half)
- Hot water heaters
- Mattresses rolled and tied
- Household furniture
- Rugs/carpets (cut and rolled in manageable sizes)
- Swing sets & trampolines (dismantled and tied in manageable sizes)
- Appliances and white goods. Refrigerators and freezers must have doors removed from the appliance. (Freon does NOT have to be removed)
The following items WILL NOT be picked up:
- Home construction/renovation/demolition debris and waste material
- Combustive materials
- Lobster traps
- Propane tanks (Petro-Canada, Pubnico, Tusket Ultra Mart & HHW Depot)
- Liquid wastes
- Car bodies and heavy car parts
- Automotive tires (max. of 4 de-rimmed automotive tires accepted at your local tire retailer for recycling – no charge)
- Car batteries (car batteries are accepted at your local Enviro-Depot)
- Garden and yard waste (use your backyard composter or green organics cart)
- Waste oil may be dropped off at your local service station or at the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) depot at the transfer station on the Hardscratch Road
Household hazardous wastes (HHW) such as corrosive cleaners and solvents, strong acids and alkalis, house and garden pesticides can be taken to the HHW depot on the Hardscratch Road. Most household waste paint can be taken to your local Enviro-Depot or the HHW depot for proper disposal
- Electronics (such as microwaves, computers, TV’s, monitors, printers, telephones, VCR’s, DVDS & CD players, stereos, digital cameras, etc.) can be taken to Paper Chase Bottle Exchange Ltd., 10 Hardscratch Road or call Waste Check at 742-1312. For a complete list visit www.recycleMYelectronics.ca/ns or phone 1-877-462-8907.
- Tree limbs, brush (must be bundled in 3’ lengths) WILL be accepted on NORMAL Organic Green Cart Week pick up only
For more information on proper disposal of items not accepted during our pickup, recycling and/or composting please call Waste Check at 742-1312. For questions regarding pick-up call John or Bonnie Duffus at Wasteco Ltd. 742-9496 or the Department of Property Inspection and Public Works at 648-2623.
Property owners may choose to drop off separated waste at the transfer station located on the Hardscratch Road (no fees will be charged) limit of 200 kgs (440 lbs) per household per week. This includes construction and demolition debris. This is available to residents throughout the year.
Due to a large amount of waste to be collected over a short period of time, the Municipality of Argyle reserves the right to limit quantities.